NYSC Certificate of Exemption:
In this post, we will provide you with actionable steps that you can use to collect certificate of exemption from NYSC or request for a replacement in cases of lost NYSC exemption certificate.
But, what is NYSC Certificate of Exemption? for the sake of people that may not know. NYSC exemption certificate provides an equivalent version of the normal NYSC certificate.
One of difference between, one given the normal NYSC certificate and One given the exemption NYSC certificate is mainly attributed to eligibility to carry out the one year service.
A person that is above 30 (thirty) years old is automatically exempted from the one year service even though the person is willing to serve.
This claim is solely due to the NYSC by law, which reads thus as from the National Youth Service Corps Decree of 1993 section 2 subsection (1):
“With effect from 1st August, 1985, a person shall NOT be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification”.
- He is over the age of thirty (30) years
- He has served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
- He is a member of staff of any of the following:
- The Nigerian Security Organization or
- The State Security Service or
- The National Intelligence Agency or
- The Defence Intelligence Service
- He has been conferred with any National Honour
From the above listed points, we could easily point out other key points that may result one to be exempted. Exemption here means the person affected will not do the 1 year NYSC service scheme even when he has already met the required procedures.
But, instead be given an exemption certificate as NYSC Certificate of Service that can also be tendered when needed for different purposes.
Factors that makes one become ineligible to do the 1 year NYSC Service
In addition, we could see that, one not only becomes ineligible to undertake the 1 year NYSC serving due to only age barrier but also due to other factors listed.
Among which, is being a former member of the Armed Forces of the Federation for a period which exceeds 9 (nine months). And also, being a Staff of Nigerian Security Organization, State Security Service, National Intelligence Agency and Defence Intelligence Service. Not to also forget, someone awarded the National Honors also inclusive.
These sets of persons are therefore, exempted from service. If one fall in any the categories listed above, then one is exempted and immediately issued the NYSC Exemption Certificate to show as proof of exemption when the certificate is requested for various uses.
This post, will try as much as possible to list out the procedures to apply for NYSC exemption certificate. And possible replacement of an exemption certificate when it goes missing.
NYSC Exemption Certificate Eligibility:
Before, we further proceed lets look into what makes one becomes eligible to apply for NYSC exemption certificate.
Here are the criteria for eligibility for an exemption and thus, an exemption NYSC certificate.
- Must be a Nigerian Graduate that had graduated either in a Nigerian institution or abroad.
- Candidates who possess the required qualifications (B.sc, B.A, HND etc) from an accredited institution.
- Must be 30 or under 30 years of age
- Foreign trained graduates are required to submit their certificates at the mobilization department for inspection.
How to apply and collect NYSC Certificate of Exemption:
The procedures to apply for NYSC certificate of Exemption is classified into two. The first procedure is for the Home trained graduates.
That is, persons who had completed their tertiary education in Nigeria.
While the second procedures is meant for persons who had completed their tertiary education in countries outside the shores of Nigeria.
In both cases, candidates are expected to follow the guide lines. From application of an exemption to the collection of the certificate.
Here we go with the procedures to apply and collect NYSC certificate for both local and foreign graduates, listed below:
Home Trained Graduates:
Normally during the process of new NYSC registration via the NYSC Portal, candidates who are eligible for an exemption is automatically determined from the data entered into the portal.
Therefore, after one completes the registration online. You immediately know whether you have been slated for an exemption or the service.
Thus, in other words we can also say we have two methods of applying and collection of NYSC exemption certificate. Both methods are dependent on each other. Below are the methods:
Applying for NYSC Exemption Certificate:
- Firstly, the senate of the tertiary institution attended sends your details alongside all other prospective candidates details to NYSC.
- Secondly, NYSC processes it. And makes a listing of those selected for service based on the information. And also those that would be exempted.
- Thirdly, the listing is sent back to the senate of the institution for further check and corrections.
- Lastly the certificate of exemptions to eligible candidates are printed out and sent to the institution for issuance.
Applying of NYSC Certificate of Exemption via online:
- The second method for applying for collection of NYSC exemption certificate for local graduates is to apply online.
- Prospective candidates for an exemption, are expected to follow all of the procedures during the registration process online.
- The online portal automatically identifies the age of the candidate
- If the age is above 30
- Immediately after completion of the new NYSC registration in the portal. An exemption certificate is processed for collection at a later date.
Foreign Trained Graduates:
- Firstly, the steps begins in Nigeria. The documents of completion from a foreign country is evaluated.
- After the evaluation of the documents the foreign trained graduate is registered at NYSC HQ, in Abuja.
- The registration process will determine if the candidate is eligible for an NYSC exemption or not based on age or other factors.
- When the candidate is eligible. The certificate is processed for collection at a later period in the NYSC HQ.
Details of collection of the NYSC exemption certificate is usually communicated to eligible candidates.
Like mentioned earlier, new NYSC registration are usually done online. Whether one is a foreign graduate or local one. Immediately one completes the registration process.
The information contained in the dashboard shows whether one has been exempted or not.
How to apply for NYSC Replacement of Exemption Certificate:
In situations whereby one has lost his/her NYSC exemption certificate. It is possible for one to apply for a replacement.
Applying for a replacement of an NYSC lost certificate of exemption for home trained graduates is done via the steps given below:
Steps for Home Trained Graduates:
- A letter of notification request is routed through the institution of graduation and then addressed to the Director General of NYSC.
- A Police Report is needed
- Court Affidavit
- If possible a copy of the lost NYSC exemption certificate.
Steps for Foreign Trained Graduates:
- A letter of notification request is addressed to the Director General (DG), NYSC.
- A Police Report in the plight of the lost NYSC Certificate
- Court Affidavit
- Photocopy of International Passport
- Where available a copy of the lost certificate of exemption.
Complaints & Corrections:
Normally if you have corrections you would want to be effected on the NYSC certificate is usually channeled through the tertiary institution one graduates from.
And then, the institution routes it to NYSC alongside other attachments for verification.
While for foreign trained graduates, will usually submit a handwritten application with attachment of a photocopy of International Passport data page and the original certificate of exemption.
The handwritten application is addressed to the Director General of NYSC HQ, Abuja.
In conclusion, the steps given above, should give you an insight of how you can go about applying for your NYSC exemption certificate, replacement of lost NYSC exemption certificate, name correction and other complaints.
Get Stuffs Like this, to Ur' Inbox: